Tuesday, May 16, 2006

He Had Us At Take


There is a saying in the Clay Aiken fandom or ClayNation as it is sometimes called, "He had me at take". It refers to the first time we heard Clay sing at the Atlanta audition. Clay opened his mouth and glorious golden notes fell from his throat singing "Always and Forever".

Take time to tell me you really care
And we'll share tomorrow together
Ooh baby, I'll always love you forever

The saying "He had me at take" is not literal for most of us, even though I am sure it might be true for some. Instead, it really illustrates how special this very un-idol-looking guy sounded. It was a sit-up and take notice audition. He was someone we watched for during the rest of the audition process hoping he would make it through. While we heard his glorious voice in that audition episode, we were unaware at that point at Clay's potential, and what a big impact he would have on our lives.


Disclaimer: The Clay Aiken fandom is very large and very diverse. There really is no such thing as "we" or "us". The only thing for certain is that there is no agreement on anything except that we are fans of Clay Aiken.






Technorati tags:




Labels:

5 Comments:

At 11:02 AM, Blogger The ConCLAYve-Nan said...

It's true of me. He had me at "Take" - I called my husband in to see this kid and we both watched with our mouths hanging open. That never changed for either of us.

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger feelingthejoy said...

Yup, he had me at "take" *g*. I remeber my first impression of him before he began to sing...quirky looking college student, odd hair, interesting. Then he opened his mouth and sang. That did it for me. There is no denying that incredible voice.

 
At 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

He most definitely had me intrigued at Take. But I didn't fall completely until To Love Somebodaaaaaaaaaa-aaay.

I voted from that night on.

It never occurred to me to look online until after the show was over. I have not missed a day of listening to Clay Aiken sing in one form or another since.

 
At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could say he had me at take, but sadly I had vowed to never watch reality TV. And I thought the whole idea of finding an American "idol" was the most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard. Then came the build up for finals night and I, too, got drawn into the hype and decided to see what everyone was talking aabout. Boy am I glad I did.

I don't remember at what point during "This is the Night" I realized that my mouth was hanging open. I was in awe not only of the voice but of how he seemed to exude joy in every cell of his body. He captivated me during that song and I haven't been the same since.

 
At 6:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately (for me), I didn't hear Clay sing until he appeared on AI3 as a guest. From his first note of "Solitaire" I was mesmerized. That feeling remains to this day. And, I LOVED his new look!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home