Friday, January 25, 2008

Opening Knight





January 18th made his auspicious Broadway debut. The fandom held its collective breath while Clay sang, danced, yodeled, spoke with an English accent, and hit his comedic marks. After the show more than one bottle of bubbley--real and imaginary was uncorked.


Some comments made by fans:

I knew Clay would be good, I never thought he would be THAT good -- the joy on his face (and his fellow castmates') at the curtain call lit up my heart!! Sir Galahad hugged his arm and patted him on the back (job well done) and the King gave a little special acknowledgment of Clay ... and that was so sweet .. it was a HUGE hope of mine that Clay would be accepted by the cast ... I think he has been ...

**

Oh what a night! I spent the night grinning and laughing out loud and I was not alone. The sold-out Schubert Theater pulsated with cheers for Clay and company.

**

He did it ...OMG HE DID IT!!! It's really hard to explain...that rush? The joy?? The utter just EEEEEEEEEEEEEE I felt last night. I couldn't stop smiling...my cheeks had that feeling you get from grinning so long...and my throat hurt from the laughing and the cheering. But the joy...to feel the joy was bliss. It was contagious in the theater...inside and out. There was a nervousness...but when he took the stage...when his head peaked out that window of the guard tower....it all evaporated into....pure laughter and a heady...OMG OMG he is doing it...he really really is doing it. He was the part. He owned what he was doing. He wasn't Clay Aiken pop star up there. He was the guard and the accent was a joy to hear. The whole theater was so full of energy...you could feel it in the air. Love in abundance...and happy...and laughing...it was amazing.

**

I don't think he messed up one line last night...no random lyric generator...and if he did...you couldn't tell...so if he did it doesn't matter one wit. He found his click. He really really has found his click.

**

Simon used to say...you belong on Broadway like it was some diss to Clay. I used to respond that diss by saying that those that make it to Broadway are only the best of the best. Last night on the stage of the Shubert theater Clay Aiken proved those words to me.

**

The wonderful thing about Spamalot is that it is so irreverant...so bawdy...so out of the character of what someone who has the old notions of Clay Aiken would think that he would do...that his taking on this role is like a break me out of this box move for Clay. You rocked the stage Sir Robin...you nailed it!!!

**

He was as you all know totally wonderful. His comedic timing and his expressions and of course the accent blew me away. I have no words...to describe just how wonderful he was. I just kept laughing, smiling and even a few tears as I was so proud of him. Afterwards everyone was just walking around going OMG!! OMG!! He so totally ROCKED.

**

I thought Clay was fabulous and I consider that a gross understatement! The atmosphere was one of unbelievable anticipation, excitement, and joy and that comes nowhere close to telling you what it felt like. And the fact that I shared this experience with hundreds of my closest Clay Friends and Clay Aiken himself was the straw the stirred the drink. There are no words to describe it really. But if could bottle the atmosphere last night and sell it, I would be one rich woman! I would buy a lifetime supply of that essence and snort it three times a day for the rest of my life.

**

Upon reflection I still absolutely love what he accomplished last night. He was a singer, an actor, a consumate professional, an entertainer and yet still "our" Clay!
I loved, loved, loved his different accents! He did an amazing job and is better than some long time actors I have seen! No it wasn't perfect but it was close to "Spot On"
In fact since I loved it so much I bought a matinee ticket at 2 am this morning.
This post has been brought to you by the fangirliest fan ever and I'm loving it.

**

I laughed. I cried. I am very proud of him. He was adorable. Of I said that. His singing was spectacular. He pulled off the accent. He danced. He leered. He cursed. He was wonderful.

**

This is the most perfect THING for him. This part, this genre, this play, this city. Everything just worked. He frecking Blew.Me.Away. Lord, I want to hop on a bus and go back and see it again tomorrow.


**
Clay? Was a wonder!!! I expected him to be good. I didn't expect him to blow my mind. He was so natural, so... born to be on the stage. The best compliment I heard (and I heard it more than a few times) was people asking their neighbour - which one is Clay? He totally fit in up there on the stage. And he's only getting better!!! Incredible!!!



Technorati Tags:

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home