Saturday, May 12, 2007

Memories of AI2: Top 4 -- "To Love Somebody" & "Grease".

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


May 6, 2003 American Idol 2 Top 4 show was BeeGees Week. Coincidentally AI6 had BeeGees Week for their Top 4 also. Instead of Barry Gibb who was mentor for AI6, AI2 had Robin Gibb as guest judge. The first of Clay's two songs was "To Love Somebody". He impressed the judges with his fantastic performance, and Simon said it was probably the best of all the Pop Idol/American Idol performances. Next he sang one of my favorite performances, "Grease". His stellar vocal performance was lost in the jaw-dropping sight of Clay Aiken in his red leather jacket, tight jeans, and swivelling hips. Simon of course hated it declaring, "Everything about that was Horrible". The Grease performance even made Simon's poorly selling AI book under worst AI Performances furthering the impression that Simon really is clueless. Of course, that is my opinion since I am rather fond of the Grease performance.

~Performance of "To Love Somebody"


Judges Comments:
Randy: Yeah, yeah, yo, man, you know what? Dawg, I gotta give you your props, man. You really came on tonight. You're really tryin' to win this, and you're doin your thing. That was brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.
Robin: You've got an absolutely fantastic voice, and this is the way the song should be sung, and it's just brilliant.
Paula: The last two weeks have been my favorite Clay moments because you've really found a safe place with your vulnerability, and your maturity as a performer has caught up with your beautiful voice.
Clay: Thank you very much.
Simon: Clay, I think this is the third Pop Idol or American Idol I've done if you include the English one, and that's probably one of the best performances I've ever heard throughout the competition.
Ryan: I guess it's safe to say you're having a good time tonight.
Clay: I'm enjoying myself, yes.


~Performance of "Grease"~



Judges' Comments:
Randy: Yo, Clay, man, I'm just sitting here laughin', man, I'm havin a good time tonight, man. I like that you're up there doin' your dance steps, dawg. I like the moves, baby!
Robin: Actually, no, I love your voice anyway, but it was, yeah, it was a great job, and ah, I love your interpretation of it.
Paula: You know I'm proud of you, Clay. You know what? You shook your thang, but most important, you know what, having a little bit of humility, and having fun, and not taking yourself so seriously....
Clay: A lot of humility.
Paula: It's a blast watchin' you, and it's just wonderful.
Simon: (shaking head speechlessly) Horrible. I mean, Sorry! Everything about that was horrible. It was!
Paula: - You're horrible!

Audience: booooooo!

Simon: I don't care! Will you shut up! I'm tryin' to talk! You know, a great performance, and then it was all thrown away with that. That was horrible.
Paula: You're horrible.
Randy: Bad Judge!

Performances:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

First Song:
1. Josh Gracin- "Jive Talkin" (1975)
2. Clay Aiken- "To Love Somebody" (1967) **thud**
3. Kimberley Locke- "I Just Want T Be Your Everything" (1977)
4. Ruben Studdard- "Nights on Broadway" (1975)

Second Song:
1. Josh Gracin- "To Love Somebody" (1967)
2. Clay Aiken- "Grease" (1978)
3. Kimberley Locke- "Emotions" (1978)
4. Ruben Studdard- "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart" (1971)



Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 7:47 AM, Blogger happyseason said...

Hello there, thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts about AI2 again. BeeGees' "to love somebody" by Clay is one of my fave (another one is Solitaire)..
Love every bit of that song (by Clay). However, for Grease, since it's not my type of song, I don't really like that one. Though I have to say Clay sang that one well too. And, I love how Clay enjoy himself and having fun, trying to entertain everyone with his funny movement after the song Grease. Haha, he really knows how to make people laugh.

 
At 6:22 AM, Blogger Dianne Barbee said...

EE,

Thnx for the memories. Nothing
on AI before or since matches Clay's body of work from the show. Er um, I just got lost over on YouTube and watched several performances, including the awesome "Unchained Melody."

Have a great week!

Caro

 

Post a Comment

<< Home